George Thurlow set up in business in Stowmarket in 1875 as an oil merchant and engineer.
From these humble beginnings the Company moved into the supply of steam engines and threshing tackle to become one of the country’s leading distributors. From steam the company moved into agricultural machinery and is now one of the leading Massey-Ferguson
distributors in Europe.
Because of our family history we have been able to retain many records and artefacts. A large number of the company’s archives have now been professionally catalogued and stored at the Records Office in Bury St Edmunds for safekeeping.
It is considered extremely rare to be able to produce the paperwork for every sale made by a Company going as far back as 1890. The Sales Ledgers are handwritten and we still receive letters from steam engine enthusiasts requesting sight of the reference made to their engine in these ledgers.
In 1968 our current Chairman, John Thurlow, took over the running of the business when his Father died and shortly after in 1970 George Thurlow & Sons Ltd merged with their neighbouring Massey-Ferguson dealer to create Thurlow Nunn Ltd. In 1982 Thurlow Nunn purchased a small interest in a Vauxhall garage in Stowmarket which became the starting point for Thurlow Nunn car dealerships. 1985 saw the merger with F A Standen Ltd and the company became known as Thurlow Nunn Standen Ltd.
2007 was an exciting year for the Agricultural Division with the purchase by the Group of eight acres of commercial land just outside of Ely in Cambridgeshire. On two acres of this site we built a new depot to house our Head Office and the Littleport depot (our two depots previously situated at Ely and Downham Market were amalgamated into one to form the Littleport depot).
We built a high-tech workshop which includes computerised oil supply, fume extraction system, internet access points on technicians benches and automated waste oil disposal. The branch also boasts a superb retail showroom and the benefits of modern office accommodation.
2012 was another year of expansion for the Agricultural Division, with the successful merger of the Norfolk franchises of Randell Norfolk Farm Machinery. This grew our agricultural branch network with the integration of these new branches in Norfolk.
We believe that this investment demonstrates the Company’s commitment to the future of agriculture.